Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Groggy's Valentines



Happy Valentine's Day, Groggy followers! To celebrate, I'll shine a spotlight on someone other than myself. Thanks to work I no longer read that many blogs, but there are still a few I try and find time to check out when I can. Many of them are readers of this blog, others acquaintances of one kind or another, some I just found through a random Google search. All are excellent bloggers.

So as not to pick a fight, I've put these in alphabetical order rather than a value rating. Non-film blogs aren't considered for this list (sorry, Keir and Mr. Valance), nor blogs that are no longer active (sorry Jack L.). I apologize if you get left off the list, but if you're linked on the right side of the page you can be sure I think highly of your blog.

Without further ado, I present:

Groggy's Top Ten Film Blogs:

Best Actor
Link

A blog that specializes in analyzing Oscar-nominated acting performances. I'm often lost trying to express my appreciation for a great performance, but Louis's analyses are insightful, observant and to the point. A stellar site for fans of great acting - and aside from Terrence Malick devotees, who isn't?

Caftan Woman
Link

An IMDB acquaintance with a love of old movies and a wonderful blog. Her knowledge of Classic Hollywood, no matter how obscure, is formidable, and her reviews are a joy to read.

Celluloid Highway
Link

Celluloid Highway is a great place for lovers of esoteric cinema. Chintz horror films, B Westerns, forgotten crime films and exploitation flicks - all are found here in abundance, handled with admirable style and wit. There's also an impressive collection of memorabilia to browse if you're so inclined.

Cult Film Freaks
Link

Jim and I met on Facebook through a shared love for The Wind and the Lion and have remained friendly ever since. (Aside from my dad and my friend Donovan I haven't encountered anyone in real-life who can tell a Raisuli from a rutabaga.) Mr. Tate's main site is full of interesting interviews with B-movie stars and directors. His blog provides well-written, succinct reviews that say more in 100 words than I do in 1,000. Haven't checked him out yet? "Ignorance is a steep cliff with perilous rocks at the bottom."

E-Film Blog:
Link

This gentleman is an acquaintace from IMDB's Film General board, where his articulate reviews stand out like a filet mignon amidst a million McDoubles. Not surprisingly, his blog is well-worth reading, full of sharp analyses and a biting sense of humor that are greatly appreciated.

John Likes Movies
Link

John proudly claims "I'm not a film critic. I haven't been to film school. I just love movies and writing about them." Modesty aside, he puts many Pauline Kael wannabes to shame. With an eclectic taste in movies and wonderfully accessible writing style, John's blog is a treat.

Just Hit Play
Link

Tim is an old friend from the Sergio Leone Web Board and my second-in-command in the Mexico Expedition. Tim's blog combines a lively conversational style with straightforward, clearheaded analysis. He focuses more on entertainment value than artistic pretension, and schews heavily towards masculine genres. A great meat 'n potatoes movie blog.

Le Mot du Cinephiliaque
Link

Michael's blog is a nice light read. He provides good, succinct analysis of films, an omnivorous love of cinema and a friendly attitude for a pleasant experience.

Self-Styled Siren
Link

A film blog for the intellectually inclined, Siren provides insightful, in-depth articles on classic cinema, legendary stars and industry players. For readers looking for something more substantial than mere reviews or rants, Siren is the place to be.

Skeins of Thought
Link

Moira is a very warm, friendly blogger. She usually plumps for shorter pieces but occasionally goes for longer reviews, analyses and profiles of favorite films, bringing formidable cinematic and literary knowledge to her posts. She also conducts some interesting interviews of film personalities which are always worth reading. Moira, thou blog is swell.

Coming up this week are a pair of obscure British films and maybe a Billy Wilder film. I'll leave you guess which ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment