Friday, January 21, 2011

Terrorists in 3-D


So, this week I watched The Crucible and The Madness of King George, two good but unremarkable period films I don't feel like analyzing, and rewatched True Grit, which I already have reviewed. So, erm, no reviews for now.

In lieu of my actually exerting my brain cells, I'll draw your attention to a pair of interesting articles:

First is this article by Kristin Thompson and David Bordwell, showing how 3-D hasn't been as big a selling point as Hollywood hoped.

Mini-rant: I hate 3-D, a useless, cheesy gimmick that adds jack squat to a film, and nothing aside from finding a real job would make happier than its demise. They've been trying this nonsense for sixty years and can't get it through their thick, gold-plated skulls that no one gives a shit. By the common definition they're insane. Avatar definitely benefitted from it (box-office-wise, anyway) but does anyone really think Toy Story 3 and Shrek 4 wouldn't have been hits in 2-D? Expect its death in the next two years. If I'm wrong, well, you're welcome to rub it in my face two years later.

Also, tonight I rewatched the excellent The Baader-Meinhoff Complex (2008), one of the best films to be made about terrorism and political extremists. Since I've already reviewed the film, I'll direct your attention to a superb article on the film by Christopher Hitchens, my favorite polemicist.

Due to cold, snow, football and the need to do job hunting I'll be shut in my apartment all weekend, which means time for at least a few movies. Expect some actual reviews in the near-future.

Oh, and Here We Go Steelers! Here We Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment