Sunday, October 14, 2012

Savile row grows apace

More and more women have come forward to make a claim that they were molested, or worse, by Jimmy Savile some 30 or 40 years ago.

Jimmy Savile received a Papal Knighthood from Pope John Paul II in 1990, a poorly advised award if ever there was.
Regardless of these claims against him, a Papal award should not go to lightweight TV celebs just as MBEs should never be awarded to tea ladies or traffic wardens.

An anonymous comment prompted me to re-visit my earlier post, Jimmy Savile is innocent, because this blog (commentators and self) were accused of being unCatholic in the views expressed.
I removed the comment because it was somewhat abusive; I have allowed some anonymous comments but, from now on I will only maintain comments from named individuals.

My position has not changed. Despite a rather appalling level of accusations against the man I am bound, as a Catholic, to keep an open mind.

As a citizen I am bound to believe in innocence until guilt is proven.

Of course, the sheer volume of women coming forward makes this stance a hard one to maintain but we have seen cases in the past where trumped up charges have resulted in people being found unjustly guilty; and we do have the example of an innocent man being tried, found guilty and crucified have we not?

And, no, I am not saying these accusations are trumped up. And, yes, if these gross acts did, in fact happen, then my sympathies go out to those who may have been abused.

It's just that I abhor trial by media where the front headlines of The Sun newspaper can condemn out of hand.

And I dislike the cant and hypocrisy of those in show business who are now throwing up their hands in horror that such things could have happened.
If ever the phrase "whited sepulchres" could be used in today's climate, it would apply to BBC and ITV celebrities who are now running flat out to distance themselves from  Sir Jimmy Savile.

And, if you should wish to comment, please do not do so anonymously. And, yes, the headline is intentional.









No comments:

Post a Comment