Friday, December 14, 2012

An English Carol sung by Irishmen

Just to remind us all that Christmas is not about things secular but the birth of Our Saviour (and a moderate amount of feasting).




And the words are here:-


Boar's Head Carol




The boar's head in hand bear I

Bedecked with bays and rosemary

I pray you, my masters, be merry

(so many as are in the feast)

Quot estis in convivio





Chorus: Caput apri defero, Reddens laudes domino


(The boar's head I bring, giving praises to God)





The boar's head as I understand,

Is the rarest dish in all this land,


Which thus bedecked with a gay garland


Let us servire cantico. 


(let us serve with a song)






Chorus: Our steward hath provided this


In honor of the King of bliss


Which, on this day to be served is


In Reginensi atrio:


(in the Queen's hall)


No comments:

Post a Comment