Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Mgr Leo Cushley Named as new Archbishop of St Andrew's and Edinburgh

The Catholic Herald today reports that Mgr Leo Cushley has been appointed by Pope Francis as the successor to Cardinal Keith O'Brien as new Archbishop of St Andrew's and Edinburgh.

Mgr Cushley is described as a 'Vatican insider' who has worked closely with both Benedict XVI and Francis, drafting speeches for Pope Francis's predecessor during his historic visit to the United Kingdom. This being said, there is not a great deal of information on the new Archbishop on the internet.

May God bless the new Archbishop and may he bring comfort and healing to a Catholic Church in Scotland much in need of direction and holy leadership.

As the Herald reports, in his statement the Archbishop-Elect said...

“I am humbled that our Holy Father Pope Francis has nominated me for such an important task here in our ancient capital. I know it’s a delicate moment and that there is a lot to be done, but with God’s grace and the kind support of the clergy and people of Edinburgh, I will work cheerfully and willingly with all the energy I can muster."

“There are certain important questions that I will also have to familiarise myself with. I have no jurisdiction in the diocese until after I have been ordained in late September. Only then will I be able to take stock of what has happened and see what can be done."

“It is my sincere hope to do this always in truth and in charity, with a view to reconciliation and healing among the Catholics of Edinburgh. My first task is to preach the good news, Christ crucified and risen from the dead, to confirm my brother priests in their Catholic faith and ministry, and to be a loving, simple, wise shepherd to the flock that has been entrusted to me.”

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment