Saturday, November 29, 2008

All I have to say about Bolt

Well, I had a decent turkey day with my family (watching "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", a film I MAY want to blog about when I get back to Pitt), just about suffered a heart attack when Pitt narrowly beat West Virginia yesterday, and was dragged by my family to see Bolt. I'd like to write an in-depth review of the movie, but my God! I already did a rant about the genericness of modern (American) animation, I don't feel up to it right this moment.

Here are my brief comments. If you, like me, are a dog person and are susceptible to the charms of a puppy face and doggy eccentricities (even an animated one voice by John Travolta), you will probably enjoy Bolt on some level. Susie Essman's wonderfully mean and sarcastic cat Mittens is also loads of fun (although Mark Walton's loud-mouthed hamster is rather annoying). The requisite sentimentality is done reasonably well.

And... that's about it.

I'm getting a lot of great feedback on my Australia review over on IMDB (except by the usual trolls and troglodytes), which I really appreciate. If only those people could become regular readers, that would be great. Try as I may to act humble, I'm an egotist at heart, and I appreciate any and all praise that comes my way. Thanks to any of you who may be reading this.

Speaking of Australia: Here's an excellent article where Baz Luhrmann talks about his influences for the film. You should be able to guess most of them, but an interesting read nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment