Tuesday, July 21, 2009

St Anthony: The Saint With A Finger in Every Pie


When he is this close to God is it any wonder He hears him?

I sometimes wonder whether Heaven gets irritated by St Anthony of Padua. As patron of lost items, he is often called upon by the Faithful at times when keys are missing, mobile phones are under couches or when people are looking for stuff in general. He has a broad CV of miracles to present before the Throne of God and God is notoriously fond of him and enjoys glorifying him on Earth and in Heaven, for his great virtues. Yesterday, my friend asked me to open his can of spam which he was having difficulty opening. I asked jokingly who the patron saint of can opening was and he didn't know.

I think, in these areas of confusion over which saint intercedes for which necessity, St Anthony seems to be a good and reliable fall back saint. If I don't know who intercedes for something I go with St Anthony because he is a safe bet. He tends not to disappoint.

So, in my heart I said a quick prayer to St Anthony and hey presto the can of spam opened easier than a lid off your tub of margarine. But other saints must get a little irritated that St Anthony is on their turf intercession wise. "That's my speciality!" some other saints must say. "Oi, Anthony! Stick to finding stuff will you!" or "I could have opened that spam if only someone had asked me, but oh no, its Anthony this, Anthony that! I don't know, other than continuously praising, adoring and worshipping the Most Holy and Blessed Trinity I sometimes wonder why I am here. I only get about 50,000 prayer requests a day, whereas he get well over 50 million."

Meanwhile St Anthony stands there smiling saying, "I think I'll handle this...Lord Jesus Christ, by the power of the Holy Spirit, Your Heavenly Father rolled away the Tomb at Your Glorious Resurrection. Please now, in Your Great Mercy, do the same for this spam."

Good St Anthony of Padua, pray for us in our needs that we may always rejoice in your holy intercession. The lady in my life is suffering back pain and I have had a scout on the internet for the patron saint of back pain. Is there one listed? No! So, you know who I'm going to pray to for her, don't you? In the absence of anyone else coming forward with a speciality in back pain..."Oi, Anthony..."

No comments:

Post a Comment