Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Brief Oscar Commentary



The Oscar nominations came out today. If you expected me to care, you were wrong.

Is anyone surprised that Avatar and The Hurt Locker got Best Picture nods? I seriously doubt it, and it's unquestionably going to be a two-film race. Which leads to the question, again, of why the hell we are expanding to ten nominees this year? It's often hard enough to get five worthy nominees; ten is just absurd padding, particularly since it's effectively a two-movie race. All this will do is pointlessly dilute the field, further diminish the Oscars' credibility, make it impossible for me to go out and see all the Best Picture nominees, and lead to an even longer, more boring and wanky ceremony than last year.

In short, I don't give a fuck about the Oscars this year, and I'm not going to bother watching. I will be more than happy to peruse TCM's 31 Days of Oscar, however.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment