Friday, October 21, 2011

The State of Cinema, 10/21/2011


It's Friday night, when I usually like to go out and watch a movie after work. I'm not too demanding when it comes to Friday night movies, but even I have limits as to mindless entertainment. Exhibit A is the Richland Cinemas line-up for this evening, which makes you think that Hollywood has just given up.

In case you doubt, these were my potential choices:

Dolphin Tale
Footloose
Johnny English Reborn
Machine Gun Preacher
The Mighty Macs
Moneyball
Paranormal Activity 3
Real Steel
The Thing
The Three Musketeers


So, let's recap: three remakes*, two sequels, and a movie I've already seen and didn't care for. That leaves what appear to be two "inspirational" sports stories, a Gerard Butler flick and something with an aquatic mammal. The strangest thing is that The Ides of March played at my local theater for a grand total of one week.

I usually find rants about how movies today suck, blah, blah, blah, asinine and obnoxious, but that list is enough to strike fear into the heart of the most plebian moviegoer. I guess this is what Netflix is for.

* - The Thing, I guess, is technically a prequel. Hopefully you'll forgive the short-hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment