Monday, June 18, 2012

Shooting One's (Robert) Bolt

I'll start with a personal note: I didn't get the job I interviewed for. Pity.

Lately I've been catching up on the plays of Robert Bolt. Mr. Bolt's long been one of my favorite writers and I'm appalled at the paucity of internet information on his non-A Man for All Seasons work. If you want to learn about The Tiger and the Horse, State of Revolution or (God forbid) Gentle Jack, you've either got to track down super-rare, ultra-expensive copies of the plays, or read their Groggy-authored Wikipedia articles. This will not do.

Film-related or not, I may take it upon myself to correct this deficiency. Expect either an omnibus article on Bolt's collective work, or smaller individual essays, in the next month or two. This requires research, thought and time that might be better employed, but what the hell. Any fellow who owns Adrian Turner's Bolt biography, Sabine Prufer's The Individual at the Crossroads, all of Bolt's stage plays *and* a blog is an expert at wasting time.

On the off-chance any reader is keen on helping, research and formating suggestions are welcome.

In the meantime, don't fret. I have a decent backlog of movies to review this week, including a classic horror flick, a Tom Cruise vehicle and a Ridley Scott movie that's actually good. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment