Thursday, January 29, 2009

On Prayer



"I must spend some time in prayer this morning...I'll just check my blog, oh how exciting a comment...nice one...S**t, I've left my car down the road, bloody traffic wardens, still haven't paid the last two, better move it...right back, time for some OJ, hmm delicious...right...must say my prayers...look at all that washing up, better do it...right, prayers...Oh, I'll just check Father's blog, oh that's interesting, what about Damien Thompson's, ah same old same old...need a fag, can't believe I'm still smoking through the flu...right, back, must say my prayers, oh but I need a cup of tea, I'll have a cup of tea then say my prayers, yes siree, any minute now, just have a nice cup of tea...lovely stuff, oh I need another fag...right back...Oh my, would you credit it a red wine stain on my desk, s**t, that must have been there for ages, that looks awful, just clean that up and say my prayers...oh my, better have a shower, I feel right groggy, like death...right, shower done...oh my would you credit it? I haven't had lunch yet, lucky I got that soup in yesterday I feel awful, couldn't bear to go out again, yes carrot soup, that'll be good for my cold...need another fag, just have this fag and then I'll say my prayers...oh look, that icon would look much better there, yes, oh that's sweet...just check my bank balance, oh holy s**t, I am so screwed...got to get a job, got to...s**t forgot to clean my teeth...right, oh the post, do I have a letter, do I? do I? No. Nothing, not even a frigging bill, nobody loves me...God, I'm feeling horny, no I shouldn't, oh ...Oh no, I've done it again, I'm such a wretch, O Lord, have mercy, I can't face prayer now, not in this state...if only I'd said my prayers this morning...and on...and on...and on..."

There's nothing quite like a stream of consciousness to remind me how useless I am. I remember the Penny Catechism saying as soon as we wake we should get up, dress modestly and say our prayers. As you can see, if you don't do that endless faffing may be the result. O Christian, beware of faffing, it is the enemy of your soul and an obstacle to your salvation!

No comments:

Post a Comment