Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Can't Stand Vegetarianism



I've been listening to Morrissey on Radio 4 and not for the first time he has annoyed me. The cause closest to Morrissey's heart is vegetarianism and spreading his passion for it, and frustration at anyone who enjoys a good leg of lamb every now and then. How awful, he once whinged in his song, Meat is Murder, that 'this beautiful creature must die', talking about little lambs and cows, while lamenting how terrible abbatoirs must be and how he has never understood how humans can kill a flufffy little lamb and then eat it.

Mmmm...Well, I suppose we should all give up something for Lent.

My point is this: Morrissey is a Catholic. Vegetarianism and concern for little animals is all very noble. But what about the human abbatoirs? What about the fact that the unborn are slaughtered week in, week out in every town and city of the UK? What is more important? The plight of the animals or the plight of the unborn, who are fully alive, but unprotected by society and who are totally undefended and unprotected by law?

You cannot murder a cow, you can only kill it, and even then, did the cow really long to see old age? Does the cow think, "Well, this is just unfair! What about my right to life?" We shouldn't be humanising animals. We should be recogising all human life as human.

Mozzer...Meat is not murder. If I kill a bunny rabbit, rightly I am not wanted for murder and I have not placed my immortal soul in jeopardy.

Abortion is. If I kill another human being I should be wanted for infanticide and I have placed my immortal soul in dire jeopardy. The fact that nation states have given abortion clinics across the World a carte blanche to kill as many human beings as they like doesn't change the fact I would be killing a human being. Abortion really is a case of 'this beautiful creature must die.'

What really irritates Moz is the idea of people eating meat. Apparently he can't even sit at the same table as you at a restaurant if you do so. I don't usually act out of spite but I'm going to go to Sainsbury's now and spend a voucher my parents kindly sent me today on some lovely meat, before Lent kicks in.

UPDATE...UPDATE...UPDATE...

My friend Nick at Choir practice tonight said he saw Morrissey having some noodles in EAT, in Piccadilly Circus today. He was on urgent Police business so couldn't try and talk with him. Luckily for Nick, he didn't have a burger in his hand, otherwise he'd have been scowled at...Nick is a huge Morrissey fan. I remember the time I saw Jarvis Cocker in a cafe in Paris, and I giggled like a schoolgirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment