Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cardinal Raymond Burke Cancels Westminster Talk

The Catholic Herald has reported the sudden and mysterious cancelling of Cardinal Raymond Burke's talk, 'The Restoration of Church Disciple and Evangelisation', which was due to take place on June 18 at Westminster's Methodist Central Hall.

I won't use sensational words like "devastated" to describe my reaction. However, I for one was really looking forward to going to his talk. I hope that this cancellation is just 'mysterious' and that there is nothing sinister in the reason for his sudden change of mind.

There is no way anyone in any authority in the Catholic establishment in the United Kingdom would be offended by anything that Cardinal who said, "Since the Council, the Body of Christ in England and Wales has been haemorrhaging away at the rate of approximately 30,000 souls a year" would have to say.

I hope that, perhaps, God willing, he'll reschedule for another time.

Thanks to Fr Ray Blake for alerting us to the news.

Update: I've just read His Eminence Cardinal Raymond Burke's correspondence with Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice. PEEP have, in my personal opinion, contributed to the good Cardinal's withdrawal. With their customary enthusiasm for putting the boot in with regard to the Bishops, this time in print on the advertisement/invitation for the talk, PEEP have put the Cardinal who is both loyal to the Pope and respectful of brother Bishops and Cardinals in what you could call an awkward spot. Gosh! And I thought I was hardcore! Sad. PEEP can keep my £20, because going by the correspondence, it looks like they're going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment