Thursday, September 15, 2011

Coming Attractions - Fall 2011


Well, another lousy summer movie season has passed us by. Now it's the fall, time for a barrage of adult films and year-end Oscar bait.

One of the advantages of having a full-time job is having a lot of money, even if I don't have much free time. This means more time for moviegoing, and the next few months look fairly promising. My only regret is that I'll have less time for classic movies, but after college you can't have everything.

Having already been wowed by The Debt, I decided to preview upcoming releases from now to the end of the year. I definitely won't get to see all of these movies, but it's a good starting point. This will provide me with a guide for future moviegoing - and perhaps will help you find something to watch. If it's not listed, chances are I'm not interested.

Must-See:

I'll definitely see these films provided they're showing in my area and I have time. Money shouldn't be a problem, at least not until student loans rear their ugly head.

Drive (September 16th) - This goes into wide release this weekend, and good buzz and a kickass trailer makes it likely I'll be seeing this either tomorrow or Saturday. Looks like a blast.

J. Edgar (November 9th) - While I'm leery about Leonardo DiCaprio as the title character (better Hoover than Teddy Roosevelt, I guess), J. Edgar Hoover was long overdue for a biopic and Clint Eastwood is an interesting choice to direct. Early hints indicate the film will treat his sexuality tastefully, which is nice. Besides, there's such an interesting swath of American history to be covered - the Palmer Raids, the Dillinger era, World War II, the Red Scare and the Civil Rights Movement - that it seems like a slam dunk. I'm waiting for the trailer, but right now this might be my most eagerly anticipated film of the fall.

Moneyball (September 23rd) - I was waffling on this film, which looked modestly interesting but nothing spectacular. Then I heard it would (like the book it's based on) focus on the business end of running a baseball team, and I got interested. Then I saw Aaron Sorkin was co-writing it and all doubt vanished. Count me in.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (December 9th) - admittedly, I wasn't crazy about the '70s miniseries, Alec Guinness notwithstanding. So you won't hear me complain about this "re-imagining" of the John Le Carre novel, which looks like a taut, cerebral thriller without the TV series' bugetary constraints. With a cast that includes Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, Marc Strong, Ciaran Hinds and Benedict Cumberbatch, it seems like a can't-miss proposition.

War Horse (December 28th) - Steven Spielberg usually does period dramas well, and the story seems to have the right mixture of childhood whimsy and gravitas. Plus, how often do you see World War I films these days?

Possible Viewings:

Besides the above films, there are plenty of movies that I might see if I need a night out and aren't too picky, or if a trailer, TV spot or critical buzz impresses me.

The Adventures of Tintin (December 23rd) - a motion capture animated film based on a much-beloved children's book series, with Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson involved? Could be cool, could be a complete flop. I'll wait for the reviews.

Anonymous (October 28th) - a thriller based on the Shakespeare authorship controversy doesn't seem like a bad idea, and the cast list is promising. And I'm always up for a Tudor film, no matter how dire. On the other hand, it's a Roland Emmerich film.

Contagion (September 9th) - Steven Soderbergh's latest effort looks like Outbreak meets Traffic. Soderbergh's usually interesting, but the trailers are underwhelming and the story's been done many times before. I'm skeptical, good critical reviews notwithstanding.

A Dangerous Method (November 30th) - not a big Cronenberg fan, and the presence of Keira Knightley is never encouraging. Still, the story sounds interesting, so we'll keep it in mind.

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (December 21st) - I've never read the books or seen the Swedish films. I've only seen Rooney Mara in The Social Network (where she was good in a small role) and am indifferent towards David Fincher. If I see this movie, it will be more to see what all the fuss is about.

The Ides of March (October 7th) - looks like a) a potentially interesting political thriller, and b) blatant Oscar bait. Ryan Gosling gets another meaty role, George Clooney gets to strut like a liberal peacock and I'm left wondering if it's worthwhile.

The Iron Lady (December 16th) - Meryl Streep as Maggie Thatcher is interesting casting, but I'm not sure how interested I am in another end-of-year British period piece/acting showcase. We'll see.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (December 21st) - When did Hollywood pass a law that Tom Wilkinson must be in everything released?

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (December 16th) - the original was a decent time waster, even if it didn't have much to do with the literary Holmes. I expect the sequel will be the same.

Morbid Curiosity:

Occasionally, when I'm really bored and hating myself, I give into morbid curiosity and see films that can't possibly be good. Inevitably, I'm left wondering why I wasted $10 and two hours on cinematic self-flagellation. At best, it provdes fodder for a really juicy review - see my rants on Twilight and W. At worst it provokes deep, existential questions like: What the hell was I thinking?

There are two films that fit the bill this fall, and not surprisingly they're remakes. Let's hope I can resist the temptation with these...

Footloose (October 14th) - let's face facts: the original Footloose is no classic. It's an enjoyable bit of '80s kitsch, nothing more or less. Still, the story was already on thin credibility ice in 1984 and could only seem that much more ridiculous today. I was mildly interested when I'd heard it was based on the stage musical; instead it looks like a straight remake of the original with street dancing and CGI thrown in. Still, high school nostalgia might weigh in over common sense.

Straw Dogs (September 16th) - the original Straw Dogs is a classic, so there's no reason for it to be remade. Everything about the trailer screams stupid: the liberal nebbish fleeing the violence of Vietnam-era America for the seemingly idyllic Old World becomes the tale of a Hollywood screenwriter (!) retreating to the Deep South (!!) for peace and quiet (!!!). Gee, a tale of violent rednecks ganging up an outsider: How original!

No Way In Hell:


That's all for now. Good hunting, fellow cinephiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment