Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Up Next: Shia LaBeouf as Abraham Lincoln!


In this post last week, I said that Clint Eastwood's J. Edgar might be my most anticipated film of the fall. To be fair though, I'd also said that I was waiting for the trailer before making a judgment.

Well, here's the trailer... and it's not pretty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD99zwj-ZUg

I like Leonardo DiCaprio well-enough as an actor but he just seems wrong for this part. His attempts at imitating Hoover's voice and mannerisms come off as phony, like, well, Leo DiCaprio doing a Hoover impression. The phony looking old-age makeup doesn't help either.

Of course, it's possible that his actual performance, in context, will be great. After all, Anthony Hopkins didn't look or sound anything like Richard Nixon but he gave a brilliant portrayal of Tricky Dick. But on the other hand, isn't a trailer supposed to make you want to see a movie? Color me skeptical.

This weekend I'll be seeing either Drive or Moneyball, depending on what my mood. I'm assuming neither of them won't have a big star badly miscast as an iconic historical figure. You can also expect a few classic reviews in the near-future if time permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment