Monday, January 16, 2012

Does a Vigil Mass fulfil your Sunday obligation?

I ask this question very obviously from the standpoint of one who resides on the traditional side of the Catholic Faith.

Which is it to be?


Most Catholics would, of course say, YES! It certainly would fulfil one's obligations.
And, you know what? I lean towards agreeing with them, but only at an angle of about 20 degrees.

I believe that, if no Mass is available on a Sunday, then a Vigil Mass the night before must be regarded as valid in terms of obligation.

But..if an EF Mass was available on the Sunday....Saturday night would be out.

Unless, of course, I was a shift worker and could not make the Sunday Mass.

We are faced with this situation some Sundays in Menevia Diocese and I think it is perfectly legit to attend on the evening before under these circumstances.

Some disagree; I would really like to know where the Latin Mass Society stands on this point.

Do they accept a Vigil EF Mass or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment